If you love tender baby back ribs, you're in for a real treat. This quick and easy Instant Pot baby back ribs recipe will leave you smacking your very satisfied lips in no time. Our cinnamon and rosemary dry rub gives these baby backs a flavor you'll crave every time you think about your next ribs dinner.
Ready for the Best Baby Back Ribs You've Ever Tasted?
Baby backs are taken from the top of the pig's rib cage, and they tend to be meatier than spareribs. The secret to making great baby back ribs lies in starting with a flavor-filled dry rub. Try this baby backs rib dry rub, and then follow the Instant Pot recipe for the best ribs you've ever tasted.
Baby Back Ribs Dry Rub Ingredients
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs Ingredients
- 2½ - 3 pounds baby back ribs
- 1 cup beef stock or water
Tender Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs Directions
- 1Combine the ingredients for the dry rub in a small bowl. Stir to combine. Then, set this aside.
- 2Carefully remove the membrane from the back of the baby back ribs with a sharp knife, if necessary. Here's a quick video demonstrating if you prefer to view the process first.
- 3Cut the ribs into 3 or 4 equal-sized parts. Work the dry rub into each section on both sides. Set this aside.
Note: Try to prepare and apply the dry rub in advance to give the ribs time to absorb more of the flavors. The Instant Pot does a great job of enhancing flavors, but allowing the seasoning to sit a few hours or overnight heightens the taste.
- 4Add beef broth or water to the Instant Pot. Then, insert the metal rack that comes with your Instant Pot. Place the seasoned ribs on their sides on top of the rack. (Do not stack them flat on top of each other.)
- 5Lock the Instant Pot lid into place. Flip the pressure valve to "Sealing." Set the "Manual" setting to high for 30 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile, line a large, rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Set it aside.
- 7Pre-heat your oven broiler to high.
- 8When the Timer or Sound signals that cooking has ended, do a quick release (QR) to allow the pressure to escape. (Flip the sealing valve to the Venting position to do a quick release (QR). Consult your Instant Pot User's Guide if your IP uses different labels, or you don't know how to do this yet.) Unlock and carefully remove the lid when finished.
- 9Carefully transfer the ribs to the prepared baking sheet. Brush the ribs with a generous amount of BBQ sauce on each side.
- 10Broil the ribs for 3 to 5 minutes or until they are nicely browned. Remove them from the oven and let them cool before slicing further.
- 11Serve immediately with extra BBQ sauce for dipping.
Had Enough of Boring Store Bought BBQ Sauce?
Why not leave it in the store and make your own? Give our homemade Instant Pot Dark Cherry BBQ Sauce a try. It's the perfect complement to the cinnamon and rosemary flavors in our Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs recipe. It combines the natural sweetness of cherries and maple syrup with a flavorfest of ginger, cinnamon, and rosemary spices.
Note: For best results, prepare this recipe one or two days in advance. You can make it and enjoy it immediately, but the flavors become something really special if given time to release themselves.
Instant Pot Dark Cherry BBQ Sauce Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 3 - 4 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
- 2½ cups fresh or frozen dark cherries, pitted
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 10-oz. can diced tomatoes with green chilies, with liquid
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke (optional)
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
Directions for Unforgettable IP Dark Cherry BBQ Sauce
- 1Add olive oil to the Instant Pot. Select the "Sauté" function on the high temperature setting.
- 2Add the shallot and garlic, and sauté until they are soft and slightly golden, about 3 to 4 minutes.
DO NOT use the lid while using the “Sauté” function on an Instant Pot!
- 3Turn off the Instant Pot. Add the remaining ingredients, including the liquid from the tomatoes and the liquid smoke (optional). Stir to combine.
- 4Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- 5Add the lid and lock the Instant Pot into place. Make sure the pressure valve is set to the "Sealing" position. Set the "Manual" setting to high for 10 minutes. After a brief pause, the Instant Pot will automatically start building pressure.
- 6When the Timer or Sound signals that cooking has ended, do a quick release (QR) to allow the pressure to escape. (Flip the sealing valve to the Venting position to do a quick release (QR). Consult your Instant Pot User's Guide if your IP uses different labels, or you don't know how to do this yet.) Unlock and carefully remove the lid when finished.
- 7Transfer the sauce to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 7 to 10 days.
Note: For a thicker sauce, return it to the Instant Pot. Bring it to a low boil using the "Sauté" function set to high. Heat, stirring frequently, until the excess liquid is reduced and the sauce reaches the desired consistency.
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to let us know how it turned out in the comments below.