Looking for an easy method to make your next rice dish a lot more interesting? Or maybe you're itching to find another delicious dish to serve up from your Instant Pot®. You'll want to try this simple wild rice mushroom pilaf recipe.
Wild rice, the official grain of Minnesota, is one of two cereal grains native to North America. This recipe blends wild rice with Portobello mushrooms in chicken broth (or vegetable broth if you want a vegetarian dish) to produce a totally satisfying pilaf.
Instant Pot Wild Rice Mushroom Pilaf
Feel free to use this wild rice mushroom pilaf as a side dish to your meat entrée or enjoy it as a meal in itself. The Portobello helps make this a filling meal.
Wild Rice Mushroom Pilaf Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large carrots, grated finely
- ½ medium red onion, diced finely
- 2 large stalks celery, diced finely
- 8 oz. baby Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup wild rice blend, rinsed well
- 2 cups chicken (or vegetable for vegetarian) broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, chopped (dried is also fine)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped, divided
- 1/3 cup toasted slivered almonds
Instructions for Wild Rice and Mushroom Pilaf
Note: Different instant pot models offer different features and buttons. The instructions that follow are for the Instant Pot-DUO series. Your instant pot may use different button names.
- 1Add olive oil to the Instant Pot®.
- 2Press the "Sauté" button to turn it on. Set to "High."
- 3Once the pot is hot, add the carrots, red onion, celery, Portobello mushrooms, and minced garlic.
DO NOT use the lid while using the “Sauté” function on an Instant Pot!
- 4Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring continually, until the vegetables soften and the mushrooms start to release their liquid. Approximately 5 minutes. Then, turn the unit off.
- 5Add the wild rice, broth, and fresh (or dried) rosemary. Stir to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- 6Add the lid and set the pressure valve to "sealing." Select the "Manual" cooking option on the high setting and set cook time to 15 minutes.
- 7When done cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release for any remaining pressure. Turn the unit off and let it sit for 5 additional minutes.
- 8Remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork while stirring in one tablespoon of fresh parsley and the toasted almonds.
Serve immediately with the remaining chopped parsley on top.
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to let us know how it turned out in the comments below.